Tuesday, June 22, 2010

And the 'Toy Story' Continues With No Disappointment

Toy Story 3 - 9.0/10
"See-it-again" Value - 4



I was born in '93. Disney/Pixar's first film together, as well as the first full length CGI movie in history, Toy Story, hit theatres in '95. Needless to say, as a young kid I fell in love with the film. So 4 years past and the sequel, aptly named Toy Story 2, releases. Again, riots among toddlers break out...just kidding. But no doubt it was a hit among all ages. Now, I'm a teenager and in two years I'm going to be graduating high school and the legacy of Toy Story continues.

The third installment of the most groundbreaking fully-CGI series in history involves all your favorite toys plus more. Woody, Buzz, Bullseye, Jessie, Bullseye, Hamm, Rex, the Potato Heads and more are concerned that Andy will never play with them again, considering he is now off to college. So after a series of misunderstandings and accidents, the toys end up at Sunnyside Daycare. It seems like paradise. They will get played with everyday for eternity, a beautiful place to live, and they will always be together. That is until the reluctant Woody leaves, seeing as he was supposed to be going to college with Andy. Woody escapes and the rest of the gang soon finds out that daycare isn't as nice as they'd hoped.

Having grown up with these films, my largest concern was that the movie would be disappointing. With the first two films being outstanding, was there anything left for a third installment? Well, it turns out that there was.

The movie was up there with the previous two movies. The story was not at all lacking. The characters were just as fun and loveable as before. The family comedy was great. It was just a fantastic family film altogether and I never wanted it to end. I wanted to bask in what I believe will be the final installment of the series.

Tom Hanks and Tim Allen return to voice possibly two of the most recognized characters in any movie ever made. Tom Hanks reprising his vocals as Woody the Cowboy and Tim Allen as Buzz Lightyear the Space Ranger. Though not on camera at any point in the movie, it's strange how the connection between not just these characters but all of the characters is so strong. They create such strong chemistry with excellent voice acting.

But I think there's a fact that was proven with this movie that needs to be addressed. Toy Story 3 truly proves the beauty of the Disney/Pixar relationship. Having made 11 films together, all have been a hit. I have loved every minute of every film, and most would say they've enjoyed them just as much or more. Disney/Pixar is the perfect duo and is truly the king of the hill for CGI films and I doubt they'll be dethroned anytime soon.

There's a lot of twists in the movie also. Not plot twists per say, but twists with the characters. For instance, in an escape attempt from Sunnyside, Mr. Potato Head must ditch his potato body and substitute it for a tortilla. He ends up looking more like a Picasso painting than a Potato Head toy. Buzz has to be reset as some point and thanks to the commonly clumsy dinosaur, Rex, he is set into Spanish-mode, providing some great laughs in the movie.

I found myself a bit teary-eyed by the time the credits began to roll. Yes, I was sad that Shrek was officially over, but I think I've always had more of a connection with Toy Story. I think it was just strange to see a saga that I have grown up and had such a strong connection with. But I'm sure that Disney/Pixar is feeling the same way. They broke ground and planted the seed for CGI movies with the first Toy Story over ten years ago. And suddenly its over.

But even then, this movie went beyond expectations. It went to infinity and beyond!

No comments:

Post a Comment